Register to be a Rockin’ Reader Volunteer
If you have any trouble filing out the form, please send us an email at email@example.com
HOW TO VOLUNTEER IN SARASOTA COUNTY DISTRICT SCHOOLS
In the Sarasota County School District, nearly half of all students come from low-income homes. The impact of poverty on a child’s academic achievement is significant and starts early(Edelman, Stand for Children). Students from low-income are five times more likely to drop out of high school than those who are high-income and 13 times less likely to graduate from high school on time (National Center for Education Statistics).
Many schools in the Sarasota County School District rely on volunteers. You might be surprised about how many different ways volunteers help schools promote academic achievement, including but not limited to the following:
- Assisting in the Media Center and Cafeteria
- Assisting with programs and events
- Preparing instructional materials, either at home or in the school
- Helping teachers in the classroom
- Supporting students in the classroom
- Tutoring students
- Mentoring students
Everyone is welcome. No special skills or prior experience in education are required–only some time and a giving heart.
Connecting caring adults with students who benefit from their support forges bonds across generations that strengthen the entire community.
By volunteering in the Sarasota County Schools, you can help a student reach his or her full potential and improve the quality of your own life at the same time. No special skills are required–only some time and a giving heart.
As a volunteer you can…
- Help students improve their math and reading skills.
- Support classroom teachers.
- Share your passion for science, history or art.
- Assist with programs and events.
The school-based volunteer programs offer many opportunities for you to share your knowledge, passion, and experience. By volunteering for as little as an hour a week, you will help students improve academic skills. You will also help students grow personally through the boost in self-esteem your caring will provide.
Here’s how to volunteer in Sarasota County District schools:
- If you already know which school – Every school has a volunteer coordinator. Call the school and talk with the volunteer coordinator about your interests and the school’s current needs. Click here for a list of schools with their phone numbers.
- If you don’t know which school – Click here for a map of district schools, as you may want to choose a school close to your home or work. If you identify a school, call that school’s volunteer coordinator to discuss your interest and the school’s needs.
- If you want to learn about volunteer needs and opportunities – Call or email the school district Office of Community Involvement (941.927.9000 ext. 31500; firstname.lastname@example.org) for guidance to opportunities based on your interest.